by Ottawa Fringe
December 10, 2021
Deadline for Nominations: Ongoing until January 14, 2022
Positions Available: Member at Large
The Ottawa Fringe Festival is seeking nominations to our volunteer board of directors. We are looking for a diverse set of board members, to provide different ideas and perspectives as our mandate and operations continue to grow.
As the highest leadership body of the organization and to satisfy its fiduciary duties, the board is responsible for:
- Determining the mission and purposes of the organization
- Strategic and organizational planning
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- Fundraising and resource development
- Selecting and evaluating the performance of the Executive Director
- Assessing its own performance as the governing body of the Ottawa Fringe Festival
Responsibilities of a board member
- Know the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- Read and understand the organization’s financial statements
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to achieve the Ottawa Fringe Festival’s mission
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- Participate fully in one or more committees
In their application, candidates are invited to comment on their experience in arts and culture, nonprofit governance, diversity and inclusion, communications, human resources, financial oversight, law, or fundraising.
As a member of the board of the Ottawa Fringe Festival, you will gain leadership and networking experience with a nonprofit board. In particular, there are opportunities to gain experience in finance, human resources, fundraising, communications, and strategic planning.
About the Ottawa Fringe Festival
The Ottawa Fringe Festival provides all performing artists, both emerging and established, with the opportunity to produce their work – regardless of content, form, or style – within an environment that is as affordable and accessible as possible to the members of the community. The Ottawa Fringe Festival’s mission is to empower audiences and to encourage artists to take risks, pursue their visions, and develop their skills.
The organization produces two festivals: the Ottawa Fringe Festival and the undercurrents festival. Since 2013, Ottawa Fringe has also been managing Arts Court Theatre and other studio and rehearsal spaces in the historic building.
Nominated candidates will be presented at our Annual General Meeting in January 2022. Board members are elected for two-year terms. Meetings are usually in the evenings at Arts Court (2 Daly Ave), or electronically over Zoom, and are conducted in English.
The Ottawa Fringe Festival is committed to ensuring that the composition of its board reflects, as much as possible, the diversity of the community that we serve. We have set a goal to increase the diversity of our board and the representation of people with disabilities.
The Ottawa Fringe Festival is also committed to providing a safe and inclusive space for our festival’s audiences, volunteers, artists, and staff. Read our full anti-harassment policy.
If you are interested, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].