JOB OPPORTUNITY: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Ottawa Fringe Festival (“Ottawa Fringe”) is hiring for the position of Executive Director.
This role is responsible for the overseeing of the Ottawa Fringe Festival, the Undercurrents Festival, and Arts Court Theatre.
Duration: This is a permanent, full-time position.
Hours: 37.5 hours/week, with the ability to work overtime during festivals and some events.
Salary: $58,000.00 per annum.
Who We Are:
The Ottawa Fringe is an organization committed to empowering audiences, encouraging artists to take risks, pursue their visions, and develop their skills. The organization manages the theatre and arts spaces in the Arts Court and produces two festivals, the Ottawa Fringe Festival and Undercurrents. The Ottawa Fringe Festival is an uncensored, annual, Ottawa-based summer festival that provides emerging and established artists an opportunity to produce their
work. The winter festival, Undercurrents, is a curated festival that showcases the best original, contemporary theatre created by local, national, and international artists.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Leading full-time and seasonal staff and working in collaboration with the Board of Directors to establish and reach organization and festival goals
- Determining budget and operational timelines to ensure healthy financial practices and sustainable financial security
- Developing fundraising and development strategy, including sponsorship, grant, and donation components
- Managing festival resources including revenue streams, granting requirements, and expenditures
- Working closely with the Treasurer to ensure up-to-date financial status, support annual audit evaluations, and fiscal transparency
- Collaborating closely with the Board to further develop and implement the Anti-Harassment Policy, Anti-Sexual Violence Policy, and any recommendations or findings of safe space and diversity audits, consultations, and evaluations;
- Providing monthly reports on operations, human resources and staffing, and current or anticipated challenges to the Board of Directors, including availability to attend regular meetings and respond to inquiries;
- Researching and representing the organization at industry events, including additional networking opportunities and events
- Overseeing the Ottawa Fringe Festival
- Programming and producing the Undercurrents Festival, including:
– Maintaining a commitment to diversity and equity in the Undercurrents Festival programming
– Overseeing the creation and development of undercurrents programming
– Liaising with artists during the Fringe and Undercurrents festivals, and additional programming as required
– Working with staff on festival-related events, such as launches, closing ceremonies, Mini-Fringers, Best of Fest, and the distribution of merchandise
– Conducting performance evaluations for all direct reports
- Establishing and maintaining artistic vision for the organization
- Providing support and leadership while managing full-time staff, including the Technical Director, the Marketing and Communications Outreach Manager, and the General Manager
- Supporting the growth and development of staff, including arranging regular training and professional development opportunities
- Working closely with staff to ensure function of office and rental spaces, as well as equipment
- Working closely with staff to ensure appropriate and accurate messaging and representation of the organization
- Other duties, as required
The Executive Director will work closely with the Board of Directors to determine additional responsibilities and/or update the scope of duties.
- Share and actively uphold the values of the Ottawa Fringe, including support for and celebration of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Commit to creating and upholding a safe and inclusive space for staff, artists, and patrons, including taking actions to ensure an environment free of harassment, racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia
- Five (5) years of experience with theatre and arts programming
- Five (5) years of experience with festival or event coordination
- Three (3) years of experience with managing operational budgets, grant revenue, and complex financials
- Experience managing full-time staff in a fast-paced environment and not-for-profit organization
- Experience collaborating with and obtaining approvals from a Board of Directors
- Experience developing successful fundraising and development strategies and planning
- Knowledge and experience writing and reporting on successful grant proposals to municipal, provincial, and federal funding bodies, as well as private foundations
- Experience securing private donations and sponsored funding
- Familiarity with Canadian Fringe Festivals and the national theatre landscape
- Exceptional communication skills, including building and maintaining relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, clients, and audiences
- Exceptional organization and time-management skills
- Ability to adapt quickly to new and changing deadlines, circumstances, and challenges
- Ability to measure and manage organization risks effectively and with consideration
- Bilingualism is an asset
Please send to the hiring committee (email@example.com) your resume and cover letter describing your qualifications and detailing why you believe you are the ideal candidate for the Executive Director position by Friday, July 16. Only candidates who qualify will be contacted for next steps in the interview process.