by Amanda Logan
November 21, 2018
Deadline for Nominations: Ongoing until January 4th, 2019
Positions Available: Secretary, Member at Large
The Ottawa Fringe Festival is seeking nominations to our volunteer board of directors. We are looking for a diverse set of board members, to provide different ideas and perspectives as our mandate and operations continue to grow.
As the highest leadership body of the organization and to satisfy its fiduciary duties, the board is responsible for:
- Determining the mission and purposes of the organization
- Strategic and organizational planning
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- Fundraising and resource development
- Selecting and evaluating the performance of the Managing Director
- Assessing its own performance as the governing body of the Ottawa
Responsibilities of a board member:
- Know the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- Read and understand the organization’s financial statements
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to achieve the Ottawa Fringe Festival’s mission
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- Participate fully in one or more committees
Responsibilities of the Secretary:
- The Secretary shall ensure the keeping of accurate minutes of the proceedings of the General Meetings of Members and the Board of Directors and oversee the Producer’s keeping of the records of membership in and meetings of the Corporation.
- The Secretary shall ensure that the Producer keeps all books, papers, records, correspondence, contracts and other documents belonging to the Corporation, and shall perform such other duties as may be determined by the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate would have experience in one or more of the following areas: arts and culture, nonprofit governance, diversity and inclusion, communications, human resources, financial oversight, law, or fundraising.
As a member of the board of the Ottawa Fringe Festival, you will gain leadership and networking experience with a nonprofit board. In particular, there are opportunities to gain experience in finance, human resources, fundraising, communications and strategic planning.
Nominated candidates will be presented at our Annual General Meeting on January 28th. Board members are elected to two year terms. Meetings are usually in the evenings at Arts Court (2 Daly Ave) and are conducted in English.
The Ottawa Fringe Festival is committed to ensuring that the composition of its board reflects, as much as possible, the diversity of the community that we serve. We have set a goal to increase the diversity of our board and the representation of people with disabilities.
About the Ottawa Fringe Festival
The Ottawa Fringe Festival provides all performing artists, both emerging and established, with the opportunity to produce their work – regardless of content, form or style – within an environment that is as affordable and accessible as possible to the members of the community. The Ottawa Fringe Festival’s mission is to empower audiences and to encourage artists to take risks, pursue their visions and develop their skills.