Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators
GRANT APPLICATION GUIDELINES – 2017/18
Once again the Ottawa Fringe Festival is serving as a third-party recommender
for the Ontario Arts Council’s Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program
(previously known as Theatre Creators’ Reserve).
Applications are now being accepted with a deadline of December 11, 2017, 11:30 pm EST.
N.B. We’re using less paper. Applications will be accepted in electronic format only.
What is the Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program?
The Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program supports theatre creators in creating new work. Decisions are made by organizations on behalf of OAC, operating as third-party recommenders.
Can I apply?
To be eligible for the program you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; an Ontario resident (and for the purposes of our grants, live and create in Ottawa); and a professional artist (as defined by the OAC).
Individuals and collectives are eligible, HOWEVER organizations are ineligible.
Wondering about your eligibility? Contact is before submitting your application.
What does the program fund?
The program will fund any type of creation activity by eligible applicants.
Okay, so then what doesn’t it fund?
The following are not eligible for funding:
- applications from individuals or collectives whose reports for previously awarded OAC grants are overdue or incomplete;
- work that has been completed before you have received notification by the recommender;
- creation of non-theatre work – e.g. fiction, poetry, film, radio or TV, etc.;
- production workshop costs; and
How much can I apply for?
The minimum amount you can request is $1,000. The maximum is $5,000. We may, however, recommend less than you request (though not less than $1000).
You can apply to multiple organizations in the same year (for the same project or for different projects) and may also receive more than one TCR grant in any one year.
What IS OTTAWA FRINGE LOOKING FOR?
We are interested in supporting emerging artists, living and creating in Ottawa. We will only fund artists who live in Ottawa.
Our definition of “emerging” is broadened slightly, to include artists who may be quite experienced but could be writing/creating for the first time (e.g. an actor writing their first play).
Who makes decisions about funding?
Grant recommendations will be made by Patrick Gauthier, Festival Director, in consultation with a jury of two others.
How will applications be assessed?
Applications will be assessed based on artistic merit and interest, quality of the artistic process, and impact on Ottawa artists. Grant amounts will be determined based on the scope and scale of the proposed project, as well as the feasibility of the proposed work plan.
Basically: get us excited about your project, articulate a thoughtful process, and let us know how the project will benefit Ottawa artists.
Great info! How do I apply?
Applying is easy:
- Download the application form, and submit before the deadline of December 11, 2017.
- Send the following:
- A scanned and signed OAC application form.
- An artistic statement and detailed project description, including a timeline and work plan (maximum three pages)
- A simple budget/description of how the requested funding will be spent
- Bio(s) or resumes(s) for the project leader and major collaborators (if applicable)
- A script sample or draft (if the work is devised or non text-based, applicants must include a synopsis and detailed process description that will be used to create the work)
- If applicants are unable to include a script sample or draft they may send additional optional support material that illustrates their work: script (maximum 15 pages), video, photos, letters of support, etc.
Even more application guidelines and information about the RGTC program can be found on the OAC website.