- Lines are love. They’re a linear pre-show party. Mingle. Chill. Meet people. Talk about the must-sees. Let an artist chat you up.
- Go green. Be faithful to a single print program. Recycle your program. Share your program. Bring a reusable water bottle. Recycle your beer and wine cups. Walk, bike, or take public transit to Fringe.
- Be free. Volunteers see shows for free. Visit ottawafringe.com/volunteer for more information.
- Go behind the scenes. Subscribe for emails, like Ottawa Fringe, follow @ottawafringe on Twitter and Instagram, and surf the #ottfringe hashtag for reviews. We are all very social here at Fringe.
- Get your pin. Get yours for $3 at any box office, online, and at any venue. You’ll need one to enter any show or we’ll make you buy another. Then you’ll have two. You can bring a friend.
- Being on time is cool. 10 minutes before showtime, very cool. Showing up late is not cool. We will not let you in. You will be mad. Not cool!
- Plan for parking. There are lotsa options but give yourself a few extra minutes. The neighbourhood is construction crazy right now building a new theatre, art gallery, and pedestrian concourse!
- Read the ads. You can get your hands on a free program because businesses, artists, sponsors, and patrons like you love the Fringe enough to buy ads or make donations. They deserve your support!
- Express yourself. Take an audience survey. Add your reviews online. Or tell that Fringe-Pinned hottie over there what show you’re going to see next!
- Read reviews, but decide for yourself. There are some busy bees reviewing shows at Ottawa Fringe. Fringing is all about discovery. Flying by the seat of your pants. Take a chance on an unknown show. Support the Ottawa artists and national and international performers too.
- Bring the family. On Saturday afternoons you can register your kids for Mini-Fringers Drama Camp while you see some shows. Visit ottawafringe.com/parents for details.
- Cash is king. We accept Visa and Mastercard online and at box offices. But at the venue you can only buy a ticket with cash. At the beer tent you can only buy a drink with cash. Cash is very good to put in the tip jar at the beer tent. We even have an ATM nearby so you can get cash to put in said tip jar.
- Become a friend of the Fringe. Donate to Ottawa Fringe online or in any number of ways. Visit ottawafringe.com/support to be on your way to a tax-receipt and sweet donor benefits. Ottawa Fringe is a registered not-for-profit charity.
how do I get in touch if I have questions THAT AREN’T COVERED HERE?
You’ll find a complete staff listing, with phone numbers and email addresses, on our About Us page, just scroll about half-way down.
When and where is the festival?
22nd Ottawa Fringe Festival: Mid to end June 2018 at twelve venues in Ottawa’s Downtown Rideau neighbourhood. Click to see → Festival Map. This is 2017 info to give you an idea, some BYOVs may change.
Where’s the beer tent this year?
Tabaret Lawn! This year’s new location is a short walk away from Academic Hall, Studio Léonard-Beaulne and a whole bunch of BYOVs. It will also be party central. Get the lowdown on what we got up to this year → Special Events and Beer Tent.
Is there parking?
For cars, yes. Hot air balloons please call ahead. Nearby are paid parking options at the Rideau Centre, Les Suites Hotel, the University of Ottawa and next to La Nouvelle Scène. Free street parking can be found a short walk away in Sandy Hill and Lowertown. This neighbourhood is in the midst of some big-time construction projects—which will include new theatre venues! If you’re driving, please plan ahead and give yourself an extra few minutes.
Insider tip: After 6pm and on weekends there is $2 parking underground at City Hall (<10 minute walk).
Do I need a Fringe Pin?
Absolutely yes. A Fringe Pin is required to enter any show. It’s yours for $3 and is a one-time purchase. As 100% of ticket sales go directly to the performers, it’s Fringe Pins (and beer sales) which help the Festival grow. Available online, at any box office, and at every venue.
Why aren’t latecomers allowed entry?
Fringe venues come in all shapes and sizes. In a lot of cases, you may have to cross the stage or playing space to get to your seat. We cannot allow for this sort of disruption. That means no re-admittance to shows, either. No exceptions.
How long are the shows?
Artists have a 60-minute or a 90-minute time slot and determine the length of their shows. The actual running time of a show is likely shorter than 60 or 90 minutes. That’s because a performance which exceeds—by even one minute—its allotted time will be cut off by the venue technician. We’re on a tight schedule, folks!
What do show ratings mean?
Audience ratings (G, PG, Mature) are determined by the artists, not Ottawa Fringe. Remember, Fringe is completely uncensored.
- G suitable for all ages
- PG recommended for ages 13+
- Mature recommended for ages 17+
ARE ALL VENUES ACCESSIBLE?
Most, but unfortunately not all venues are completely accessible for all mobility needs. Show listings indicate with detail any relevant notes about the venue’s accessibility (e.g. number of stairs, alternate entrances, etc.) For a detailed summary of all venue accessibility information and location visit ottawafringe.com/venues (keeping in mind BYOVs may change for 2018).
Can I buy tickets online?
Yup, you’re in the right place. Browse shows and buy tickets when you’re ready. Want to know what was on for 2017? Check out ottawafringe.com/shows.
What if I can’t buy tickets online?
Older devices don’t always play nice with our box office software.
Please try a different browser, or update your browser by using the following links to find instructions:
- Update Chrome: https://support.google.com/
- Update Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/
- Update Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-
- Update Opera: http://help.opera.com/Mac/10.
- Update Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/
In some cases, you may need to upgrade your computer’s operating system as well (for example, some browsers no longer support Windows XP).
- Upgrade Windows: http://www.microsoft.com/en-
us/windows – must be running Windows 7 or higher
- Upgrade Mac OS X: https://support.apple.com/en-
us/HT201541 – must be running Mac OS X 10.9 or higher
HOW MUCH ARE TICKETS?
All shows are $12. 100% of the ticket price goes directly to the artist.
Are discounts available?
A limited number of discount passes are available. Visit ottawafringe.com/boxoffices for details.
What is METRO best of fest?
On closing night the Festival’s most popular shows stage a round of encore performances. One show from each of the five official venues. Visit ottawafringe.com/bestof to check out Metro Best of Fest 2017 winners. Presenting sponsor is Metro News Ottawa.